Paul Jackson Music

Paul Jackson Music

Monday 4 September 2017

#37: Preps and Plans


Ahead of performing live sets hopefully in the not too distant future, I was recently urged to supply promotional material including artist name and web links. The ridiculous mental debate I've had with myself over the last year about what form my live set up should take was nipped in the bud when I had to make a decision. Probably at the relief of the few friends I've no doubt bored senseless with my indecision.
So for this vocal and piano venture, I shall be simply going out as Paul Jackson. That's it. Done. Next!

http://pauljacksonmusic.com/



Please sign up to the mailing list to receive news and regular, or maybe irregular, bits of info.

I've been gathering up some songs and reworking them as acoustic versions. Not really one to leave things unfinished, I am still aiming to the next album of electronic pop tracks before wrapping up the Production moniker. I have always felt a disconnect between me, the vocal take and the music. Recording vocals over an electronic backing track is something I've always struggled with and it has never ever come out as I wanted it to. But sat at a piano, pressing keys while also singing lyrics has a very different feel. More freeing in a way. Whether it's related to being more in control of the musical notes as well as vocals I don't know but I can sense I perform better that way. I think so anyway.

So at present, I have a set list forming of my own songs for just vocal and piano. There are no keyboard stands and racks of boxes for me to hide behind, or sweeping synthesizer lines to cover myself with. Not yet anyway
I tried out another open mic night in August at the Duke Of York in Tunbridge Wells. I decided to risk trying out a song that I'm currently recording called A Long Way Off, which is quite an upbeat electronic pop track that I never envisaged could be performed on piano. But I didn't want the piano set to be just slow songs so I thought I'd try it out and while it felt tricky and not exactly as I intended, I think it might be worth persevering with.

I also decided to upload some earlier material to my Production Bandcamp page that includes songs I am currently adding to my forthcoming piano set. Live With It and Lost Again are two songs from years and years ago I thought might work. So at http://production.bandcamp.com you will find two digital ep's called Studio Archive EP and Remix Archive EP containing a few tracks I recorded for the Production album 'Studio' as well as some remixed versions.

And purely for keeping record of songs I've tried out at recent Open Mic nights, I decided to list them here


24 February 2017
The Elm Tree, Paddock Wood
It's My Life (Talk Talk cover)
Fireflies (Owl City cover)
Getting Away With It (Electronic cover)
To Everyone Unknown

27 February 2017
The Duke Of York, Tunbridge Wells
It's My Life (Talk Talk cover)
Getting Away With It (Electronic cover)
To Everyone Unknown

15 May 2017
The Duke Of York, Tunbridge Wells
Love Comes Quickly (Pet Shop Boys cover)
Frozen (Madonna cover)
Turn

14 August 2017
The Duke Of York, Tunbridge Wells
To Everyone Unknown
A Long Way Off
Come Dancing (Kinks cover)
Getting Away With It (Electronic cover)





No comments:

Post a Comment